My Tattoo Stories

My Tattoo Stories

Hi lovelies, and welcome to my tattoo stories! I posted a poll awhile back on Twitter asking if you would like to read a blog about my tattoos, and there was an overwhelming “yes” vote. Today I’ll be showing you my tattoos, and talking you through the meaning behind them all.

I got my first tattoo when I was 18, and I have 4 so far. I love tattoos; I think they can be such beautiful pieces of artwork. I think it’s amazing that nowadays we can have artย on our bodies.ย I understand that it isn’t for everyone, and that’s fine! But for the people who do love getting ink, it can be a such a great way to express ourselves.

My first tattoo I got in Thailand. I was quite musical as a kid, and always knew my first tattoo would be something music related. I ended up going for a treble clef, that is actually a snake. I love snakes (Slytherin Pride!!!) and it was fitting that I would work these two things into my tattoo.

my tattoo stories

I will admit, even an hour before I got this tattoo done, I was still trying to figure out what I wanted. Even in the shop I was umm-ing and ahh-ing. A lot of people say that you should think about your tattoo well in advance, and sit on it for months before deciding for definite that it is what you want. As we all constantly get reminded, tattoos are forever!

For two of my tattoos, this is the case. I thought about them for years before I took the plunge. But for the other two tattoos, they were spur of the moment. I still love them to bits!

I believe that if you love something or someone at the time; if you want something at the time; if you enjoy doing something at the time, then why should you ever regret it? (Provided that it didn’t hurt anybody, but let’s assume that is a given here.) This isn’t everybody’s mentality, but it’s mine. I don’t think I’ll ever regret any of my tattoos, because in that moment it is what I wanted. And they all have a meaning behind them, too, and those meanings aren’t something I’ll ever regret.

my tattoo stories

My 2nd tattoo was one I thought about for around a year. I saw a picture online of geometric, blossoming flowers, and loved them! I wanted something similar, but with watercolour.

The thought behind this one is that I was always a shy kid. I would cling to my parents as a child, and follow the crowd as I got older. It was only when I was a teenager that I started embracing new things. These things were often ones that my friends didn’t enjoy or even understand, but I stopped caring. I was starting to grow into myself.

Even now, I am still blossoming into the person I want to be. I’m not wholly there yet, but I have come out of my shell and grown into someone that I’m proud of.

my tattoo stories

My 3rd tattoo was yet again in Thailand. And, yet again, spontaneous. I was just craving another tattoo, so spent a few days looking at ideas on Pinterest! I decided on this design. It’s a flower with writing down the stem, which is actually my own handwriting! The lovely artist copied my writing and added a pretty flower on top.

It can be a bit hard to read – it says “no rain, no flowers”. I have depression and anxiety, and often go through really low periods where it feels like there is no way out. This is here to remind me that I can’t appreciate the good times if I didn’t go through the bad times. There has to be a balance. And I made it through the rain each time to appreciate the flowers when they grow.

my tattoo stories

My last and latest tattoo is my mermaid. I’ve wanted a mermaid for years now, and finally plucked up the courage to get it one. I went to the same tattoo artist as my flowers tattoo, and she came up with this amazing design! I am so in love with it!

The mermaid looks so beautiful, and I love her rosy cheeks. And the colours are just so beautiful! I’m constantly trying to find an excuse to wear a short sleeved t-shirt or vest to show her off!

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about my tattoo journey so far! I love them all so much, and will definitely be adding to the collection in the future!

Do you have any tattoos, or want any? What do you have/want?

my tattoo stories | Pinterest

1. ruthinrevolt
    September 5, 2018 / 9:50 am

I love reading about people’s tattoos! Yours are gorgeous, I particularly like both the flower ones, although I like that your music note has an unusual twist on it. ๐Ÿ˜€

September 12, 2018 / 7:56 pm

Thank you, Ruth! For some reason, I keep being drawn to flower tattoos without realising it ๐Ÿ˜‚ thanks! I love that about my music note, since a lot of musical tattoos are so similar or predictable – I like how I’ve made mine a bit different and personal to me!

2. September 5, 2018 / 1:47 pm

Awesome. If you have Netflix, you should watch the tattoo episode of Explained. I am still working up the courage to get my first tattoo. I have plenty of designs I did a while back.

September 12, 2018 / 8:12 pm

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation! I’ll pop it on my list and check it out โ˜บ๏ธ I think it’s scary at first going to get something permanently tattooed on yourself, but once you have it done, you will love and and become slightly addicted! ๐Ÿ˜‚

3. Sarah James
    September 5, 2018 / 6:09 pm

Your tattoos are so pretty! I’ve pinned your mermaid tat to my body modification board ๐Ÿ˜€

September 12, 2018 / 8:24 pm

Thank you, Sarah! Awww that’s so sweet, thank you โ˜บ๏ธ

4. September 6, 2018 / 5:24 pm

Your tattoos are super dope. I love the flowers that begin to blossom & the “no rain no flowers” has a great meaning behind it. I have three tattoos myself and I agree you should put some thought into your tattoos but the spur of the moments tattoos are the ones I love the best. I always think back to why I got it in the first place and I’m reminded on why I will never regret any of them.

September 12, 2018 / 8:36 pm

Thank you so much! Definitely – the spur of the moment ones have some sort of nostalgia attached to them that the planned out ones don’t have!

5. foreverseptember1
    September 6, 2018 / 6:04 pm

I’m obsessed with seeing other people’s tattoos, knowing if theres any meaning behind them/why they got them. I absolutely love your mermaid, incredible!

Lucy | Forever September

September 12, 2018 / 8:38 pm

Me too! Aww, thank you ๐Ÿ’– it’s definitely the most detailed out of all my tattoos. I love it!

6. September 6, 2018 / 6:36 pm

Loooove posts like this, but you’ve definitely given me tattoo envy! I’m desperate to get a few more but everything I want now is going to be quite big, so I’m trying to save up first. It’s so difficult though, they’re so tempting

Megan // https://pixieskiesblog.wordpress.com

September 23, 2018 / 1:29 pm

Thank you! I totally understand, I want my next one now as well but I’m not even set on a design yet, and it probably will be a bigger one, too. I just know that I want something new right now ๐Ÿ˜‚

7. September 7, 2018 / 5:38 am

Love that you’ve been getting tattoos you have passion for. The first tattoo looks pretty cool – especially since you’re combining snakes with music. I am a TOTAL SUCKER for watercolor tattoos. I really like how the flowers turned out. The tattoo artists did a GREAT job with the art! Thanks for sharing the stories behind your tattoos.

Nancy โ™ฅ exquisitely.me

September 24, 2018 / 9:36 am

Thank you! I love watercolour tattoos so much, hence why I have two so far! I just love how free and flowy they are โ˜บ๏ธ Thank you so much, Nancy ๐Ÿ’—

8. September 7, 2018 / 5:17 pm

Your tattoos are gorgeous Beka! I love that each one is so meaningful and beautifully designed. The mermaid is absolutely fantastic, Iโ€™m loving the watercolour effect, itโ€™s honestly one of the prettiest tattoos Iโ€™ve seen! I donโ€™t have any myself, Iโ€™m way to indecisive to know what I want. Maybe one day! Thank you for sharing yours <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

September 24, 2018 / 9:59 am

Thank you, Bexa! The mermaid is gorgeous, I’m so happy how it turned out! I’ve wanted it for quite awhile, but the actual design was something I was pretty worried about as I couldn’t settle on it. But the artist did such an amazing job and I’m so happy with it! I found that once you get your first tattoo, you realise that it doesn’t have to be perfect to be something that you enjoy, even if it is “permanently” on your body. But it might not be the same with everybody else! Thanks for reading ๐Ÿ’—

September 24, 2018 / 10:36 am

Thank you so much, Stephanie โ˜บ๏ธ they’re my favourite, too!

9. Lyd
    September 8, 2018 / 6:25 pm

I love that all your tattoos have an element of nature and the soft watercolours suit that so well! My favourite is the ‘no rain, no flowers’, such a lovely meaning to you.

Lyd- whatlyddid.com

September 24, 2018 / 10:44 am

Thank you so much! Yeah, that one definitely has a lot of meaning behind it and it’s always going to be applicable. It’s nice to look down at and remember that it’s going to get better โ˜บ๏ธ

10. Kim
    September 9, 2018 / 8:38 am

Beautiful tattoos. I only have one which I wanted from my early teens and got it done the day before my 18th birthday. It’s related to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I still love it, although I’m always tempted to add to it. I like wrist tattoos at the moment and have a few ideas in mind. For example a semi colon dinosaur design (an egg would be the dot and a raptor claw would be the apostrophe) – I suffer from depression and aanxiety, and love dinosaurs so it’s fitting.

September 24, 2018 / 10:58 am

Thank you! That sounds amazing, I think the things that mean the most to us will never be things we regret as tattoos. If you’re tempted, plan something awesome and go for it! I love the sound of that tattoo idea – I also suffer from depression and anxiety, and I think those types of tattoos are always something that will be so meaningful. My “no rain, no flowers” tattoo definitely reminds me that times will get better, when I’m in a bad place and look at it. You should go for it!