How to Plan for Travelling

How to Plan for Travelling

Hi lovelies, and welcome back! Today I’ll be talking to you about how to plan for travelling. Specifically, how I like to plan for a holiday or journey. Hopefully my tips can help you, too!

At the end of July, I was in Reykjavik. I’ve never been to Iceland before, and I was really excited to visit. My boyfriend was travelling back from a competition in LA, and it was cheaper from him to fly into Iceland and then back to Edinburgh, so we thought, why don’t we turn it into a holiday? I met him there and we spent 5 days in Reykjavik, before coming back to Edinburgh together. Stay tuned for that blog post!

The first thing I do is write a list. Actually, write many lists. I know if I leave it to last minute and try and get everything together, thereย will be something that I’ll forget. So, I’ll split the list into different categories, usually being: what to pack in my luggage, what to pack in my hand luggage, and what I need to do or buy before I go.

how to plan for travelling

This time I’ve split it up into smaller sections, since I am really busy right now and I want to make sure I don’t forget anything. I’ve written a list of clothes I need to pack, toiletries I need to pack, what I want to put in my hand luggage and what I need to do before I go.

Clothes

I’m going for 5 days, and fly home on the 6th day, so I want to bring enough clothes to do me for this time, both day and night. This doesn’t necessarily mean I will be changing into my “night” outfits every single night – we may be out all day and I won’t get the opportunity to go back and do this. But since weather can be unpredictable, and we may want to shower and change during the day, I think this is sensible. Because of this, I also like to bring enough underwear so that if I do shower and change every evening, I have enough clean underwear to change into.

how to plan for travelling

I’ll be bringing a variety of very casual and slightly nicer clothes. Nothing fancy, but something I’ll feel comfortable in, but also feel good in, too. I also feel a pair of trainers and one other pair of sandals is definitely enough for 5 days. Last summer I went travelling for 3 weeks and I’m pretty sure I wore the same pair of trainers the entire time. So maybe 2 pairs of shoes for 5 days is overkill, but I’d like the option to change between the two!

Toiletries

This is where I will more often than not forget something. On that same 3 week trip I did last year, I forgot shower gel… an essential, and I completely forgot it! Obviously I went out and bought some, and there is nothing stopping me from doing that in Reykjavik when I go, but since I have so many minis at home (and Reykjavik is expensive) I’d rather just bring my own.

how to plan for travelling

I’ll definitely be bringing loads of travel sized pieces with me. There is no point in wasting room in my luggage with full sized bottles of shower gel or shampoo, when I can buy just the right amount for my holiday, and save money and space! I usually go to Boots for this as they do 3 for 2 on travel minis, but I have a lot of freebies from in-store deals, or pieces from my Birchbox that I’m excited to take with me!

Hand Luggage

This one isn’t that easy to forget what you need, but somehow I know I’ll manage it! I have visions of me forgetting to bring my contraceptive pill after not seeing my boyfriend for around 3 weeks. Hence why I have wrote. that. shit.ย down. I’ll also be damned if I forget my travel money and passport. And I’d like to have my camera in my hand luggage, too, so I can take photos ASAP and not dig around my case for it!

To-Do List

This part is the most important for me; preparing so that all the smaller but crucial things are doneย before I go on holiday. Like charging my camera batteries, making sure my SD cards have plenty of space, planning and booking tours and activities to do, making sure I have the correct currency, etc…

how to plan for travelling

I don’t want to turn up with no money, and no idea what to do! I’d hate to waste a day trying to figure out what I can actually see in that particular city, or waste a morning trying to make a decision with my boyfriend on what we should do for that day. Obviously, you don’t need to write and stick to a meticulous plan, unless that works for you. But just having a plan that you can work to, but also have a bit more freedom with if you decide you want to do something else, is great!

I also find it beneficial to book some tours before you go, as well. Sometimes it can be done once you arrive in the city, but if I can find a reputable tour that is decently priced, it can also be better to book in advance. Especially if the tours are popular, to avoid disappointment!

Thank you for reading, and I hope these tips can help you if you’re planning a trip sometime soon! Stay tuned for my blog post about my time in Reykjavik!

Where have you been on holiday this summer, or where are you planning to go soon?

how to plan for travelling

1. eviebraithwaite
    August 12, 2018 / 4:18 pm

I make so many lists before I travel anywhere it’s crazy, but I’m exactly the same when it comes to toiletries – no matter how many lits I make I still end up forgetting shampoo or leaving toothpaste at home. I love bringing minis with me! Look forward to your Reykjavik post! x

Evie x | https://eviejayne.co.uk

August 15, 2018 / 9:17 pm

Me too! I think you’re the first person I’ve met (that has admitted it at least) that does that, too! I love making lists though, even if it is quicker to just pack and go through all the stuff in my head, I’d way rather take the time to make lists ๐Ÿ˜‚ thank you, I’m excited to start writing it!

2. August 12, 2018 / 6:23 pm

I am so in love with your bullet journal! It’s so important to be prepared and packed accordingly – not worth spending extra money because we forgot something! It is important to bring comfortable clothes. When you’re on the road, there are limited options for clothing. I love that you kept it simple with the toiletries. Thanks for sharing some pre-travel tips!

Nancy โ™ฅ exquisitely.me

August 15, 2018 / 9:24 pm

Thank you so much! That’s true, it’s so annoying when you know you have plenty of something at home, but when you arrive on your holiday have to go out and buy more anyway ๐Ÿ™ˆ definitely, I like to make sure I have comfortable clothes for travelling there and back, and maybe a few extra days I’m there if I’m having an off day. Sometimes being comfortable makes you feel so much better when you’re away from home! Thank you for reading ๐Ÿ’—

3. August 12, 2018 / 10:20 pm

Love the cute little page you have set up for organising yourself! I’ve already been on my first trip of the summer, and I’m heading on my first solo trip next month to Milan. I’ll definitely be planning in a similar way.

-pixieskiesblog.wordpress.com xo

August 15, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Thank you – I love writing lists, especially when I’m going on holiday to ensure I don’t forget anything ๐Ÿ˜‚ oooh, that sounds amazing! Travelling on your own is such an amazing experience, I’m sure you will love it and never want to come back – that was the case with me ๐Ÿ˜‚ Have fun in Milan!

4. August 13, 2018 / 5:33 pm

This post was really helpful! I recently went to England and struggled to know where to start with packing. I will definitely keep these tips in mind next time I am going anywhere! Doing lists in different categories would really help me as well! I loved this post

Rachael x geminiexplicit.com

August 15, 2018 / 9:33 pm

I’m glad I could help! I find splitting them into different sections rather than having one long list really helps to digest what you need to get done/packed, and makes it less daunting! Thank you โ˜บ๏ธ

5. August 13, 2018 / 11:50 pm

I adore planning for trips! I always start planning things like my clothes and makeup the second I book a trip. I get so excited! My next trip isn’t until March though… (already planning) x

Sophie

August 15, 2018 / 9:40 pm

Hahaha, I am exactly the same ๐Ÿ˜‚ as soon as my holiday was booked, I wanted to start packing but obviously I still needed clothes to wear for another month beforehand so I had to resist! Oooh, how exciting! I hope it goes by quickly for you ๐Ÿ˜œ x

6. August 14, 2018 / 1:13 pm

I like your bullet journal a lot! It’s important to plan before travelling that’s for sure. Thanks for the tips, Beka <3

August 15, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Thank you ๐Ÿ’— I’m glad you enjoyed the post, and I hope my tips can help!

7. abbiejadewanders
    August 15, 2018 / 6:53 pm

Great list and tips. Always love reading travel advice and making a to-do list is a big one for me otherwise I forget the likes of spare SD cards and charging cables. Thankyou for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

abbiejadewanders.co.uk

August 15, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Thank you โ˜บ๏ธ they’re so handy, especially when you have loads of different things to remember! I definitely would’ve forgotten to charge my camera batteries before I went if I hadn’t have wrote it down some time before that, and I would’ve been so gutted if I had ๐Ÿ˜‚