Rick and Morty Cocktail Bar | Pop-Up Geeks

Rick and Morty Cocktail Bar | Pop-Up Geeks

I visited the Pop Up Geeks again, and this time round they had a Rick and Morty themed cocktail bar! I love Rick and Morty, and when I first met my boyfriend that was one of the first things we talked about – so it was a definite that I was dragging him with me to check it out!

If you haven’t read about my last visit with the Pop Up Geeks, you can read about it here. They were doing a Harry Potter theme called Perilous Potions, and it was amazing! Now, onto Rick and Morty…

Named “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub” (nice!), the bar was decorated with all things Rick and Morty. In one corner was Rick’s shelf in the garage and a piece of paper on the wall with a number 6 drawn on, and by the door was a skeleton with Anatomy Park inside of it, and a whiteboard with the mathematical proof of why Summer and Morty were pieces of shit.

Rick and Morty cocktail bar

The mirrors had bright green lights surrounding them which you will be able to tell from the green hue in all of these photos. Over the walls were decals of characters or things from the show, and above the front door as you look from the outside were mathematical formulae just to add to the sciencey, geeky feel. I didn’t get a picture of this, or the skeleton and whiteboard as people were sat at a table right in front of it, but believe me when I say it was cool!

Rick 1

We ordered a couple of cocktails each and some shots on a few of the rounds. My favourite thing by far on the menu were Pickle-backs. If you don’t know what these are, they are one shot of bourbon and one shot of pickle juice/brine. You do the shot of bourbon first, followed by the shot pickle juice. My old manager introduced me to them last year, so I was super excited to see them on the menu at Wubba Lubba Dub Dub.

The first cocktails we ordered were The 9 Season Arc and Concentrated Dark Matter. Like their last Harry Potter theme, you got to make your own cocktail with Concentrated Dark Matter, but unfortunately not with any of the other cocktails. My boyfriend got this one, and it was a gorgeous almost black colour with glittery bits that looked so cool when you swirled the drink. It was a rum-based drink, with cherry flavours and was really nice.

You were given your cocktail ingredients in the little flasks, with a scroll with the instructions on how to make it. It was all mixed in a tin can before you strained it into your glass. Definitely the coolest on the menu, and as my boyf is a Physics student, I think we both knew that was going to be his first drink.

I got The 9 Season Arc, which was served to me from a hip flask much like Rick’s which I thought was really cool. It was a gin drink with sherry, pineapple, citrus and Szechuan peppercorns. The bartender brought over the glass and poured the cocktail into it from the flask for me which I thought was a lovely touch, and also a great way to stop people from “accidentally” taking that hip flask home (which I’m sure plenty of people will have wanted to do).

Rick and Morty cocktail bar

For our next drinks, we actually moved tables as the one we were at was a little cramped and close to two other full tables. It was only one table along, but it did feel more comfortable and spacious for me.

We ordered the Mega Fruit and Existence is Pain. The Mega Fruit is tequila with a variety of different fruits and flavours, with matcha, ginseng and celery flavours, too. It was really nice and refreshing! Existence is Pain was a blue (of course) coloured drink, made with mescal and cachaca, and had fresh chillies in it which was interesting. It was a nice drink though, however I only had a taste as I wasn’t the one to order it.

Rick and Morty cocktail bar

The Mega Fruit is the one closest to you in the picture, and the Existence is Pain is the furthest away one. This round, we ordered some Pickle-backs, with the bourbon coming in cute beakers instead of shot glasses!

For our last round, we picked drinks for each other. I chose the Dumb Grandson Pep-Talk for my boyfriend, which is vodka and campari, with blood orange and cinnamon flavours. And my boyfriend chose the Cocktail on the Cob for me, which was a strawberry flavoured vodka drink, with egg white for a real velvety consistency.

We also ordered some more shots, but this time opted for the Pickle De Muerto which was mezcal, with pickled mango and jalapeño.

Rick and Morty cocktail bar

The Cocktail on the Cob is the drink closest to you in the picture. For the Dumb Grandson Pep-Talk, I can’t remember what was in the beaker but you got your cocktail and something else in a smaller beaker (like the shot glasses) that you added to your drink, and however much you added depended on how bitter you wanted the drink, I think. I could be wrong – by that point I had a few so my mind isn’t 100% clear on remembering what it was.

The entire menu was packed full of so many more cocktails, and it was also funny to read the descriptions of all the drinks. If you don’t drink alcohol and you’re there with your friends, there is also a “Jerry-boree” option, where they will make you a mocktail with your favourite flavours, which I thought was lovely for people who can’t/don’t drink.

Also, there is a bakery next door, and they had teamed up to make “eye-holes” which were basically filled doughnuts. I’m really sad we never ended up buying one in the end, but they looked delicious!

Rick 4

That was the end of our Rick and Morty cocktail adventure! The theme lasts until 28th July, so if you’re up in Edinburgh before that, get onto their website and book a table. It’s such a great atmosphere, and so many drinks to choose from as well. They’re all around the £7-£9 mark, but even if you just pop in for one, it’s well worth it.

Or, if you’re up in Edinburgh during the Fringe, they are changing their theme during that time to Lord of the Rings, which will be open from 3rd Aug – Oct, so definitely book in advance and check that out!

Hope you all enjoyed this post – what was your favourite drink we ordered?

1. June 24, 2018 / 5:56 pm

I haven’t seen Rick and Morty before but heard a lot of great (and funny) things about the show. It’s cool that there is a cocktail with this theme going on. The cats are adorable XD. Oh wow, the drinks look so magical! Glad you enjoyed your time out there!

• June 25, 2018 / 5:58 pm

I love the show, it’s so funny – I’d recommend if you’re into a bit of dark humour. Thank you, it was such a good night!

2. June 24, 2018 / 8:12 pm

Omg how cool is this?! Sometimes I find going to a pub/bar kind of boring, so I think going to a themed one like this would be sooo perfect. The Mega Fruit sounds amazing
    jenny x | http://www.jennyrosee.com

• June 25, 2018 / 6:05 pm

Me too, I love how they’re doing their own thing and making it themed/geeky! All the cocktails were amazing tbh!

3. June 24, 2018 / 8:23 pm

Omg this looks incredible! If only it was nearer to me. I would love to go!

chloexlizabeth.blogspot.co.uk <3

• June 25, 2018 / 6:17 pm

It was so good, hopefully something like this will opener nearer you in the future! ☺️

4. abbiejadewanders
    June 24, 2018 / 8:50 pm

This sounds like a great night out! The fact that there was a Harry Potter theme one too is all I need to know. Shame you didn’t have a donut – they look great!

abbiejadewanders.co.uk

• June 25, 2018 / 6:28 pm

It really was! The Harry Potter one was great, especially since we got to make our own cocktails at that one! ☺️ I know, I’m a bit gutted but I might just pop in and buy one at some point!

5. June 24, 2018 / 8:52 pm

This bar looks great! My boyfriend also loves Rick and Morty I’ll have to get us down there because it looks really cool! Great post x

• June 25, 2018 / 8:33 pm

It’s definitely something he’ll love, both my boyfriend and I had a great time, and it’s such a different thing to do for date night! Thank you x

• June 26, 2018 / 12:08 pm

It really was – I’d recommend it for a little weekend break away and a date night!

6. June 24, 2018 / 9:01 pm

Concentrated Dark Matter is definitely a bit of me! This place looks amazing- I’m off to read about the Harry Potter theme! x

• June 26, 2018 / 12:10 pm

It was by far the coolest drink, probably because it was the only one on the menu you could make, and it sparkled! Awesome, thank you! x

7. theartsyreader
    June 24, 2018 / 9:02 pm

Your pictures look really nice! A themed bar like this sounds like one of the few I would actually visit, lol:D Lovely post!

• June 26, 2018 / 12:10 pm

Thank you! It’s so cool, I would definitely recommend looking it up and seeing what theme is on if you’re ever in the area! ☺️

8. June 24, 2018 / 9:23 pm

I really enjoyed reading about the Harry Potter themed cocktail bar and this post was no different! I love the concept behind these cocktail bars! I think it’s such a cool and creative way to change up a space! Great post!

• June 26, 2018 / 12:12 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed both these posts – there will be another up in August when their LOTR theme starts, for sure 😜 thank you!

• June 26, 2018 / 12:24 pm

Thank you! ☺️

9. June 25, 2018 / 4:44 pm

This looks like such a fun place! I don’t drink but would definitely try something from the mocktail menu. The Mega Fruit cocktail sounds so delicious and refreshing! Yum! Glad you had an awesome experience Beka 💖 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

• June 26, 2018 / 12:33 pm

It was so good, and I think it was so sweet that they made something fun and inclusive out of the mocktails on the menu! Thank you, Bexa 💖 xx

• June 26, 2018 / 12:34 pm

It was so cool, I love how they go all out with the decor, too! Thank you ☺️

10. June 25, 2018 / 7:27 pm

As a bartender, this this the coolest thing ever! Mixology is somethingthat really fascinates me, and liquor flavors sounds so interesting and yummy! I love all of the pictures you’ve posted to give us an idea of what they actually look like, because I’ve never seen drinks like this before. The glasses are especially rad, I love the flasks! I’m especially intrigued by the pickle back drink you mentioned!
    As far as the Rick and Morty Theme goes, totally badass! even the last thing you mentioned being Harry Potter sounded so cool. I really appreciated this post thank you for sharing!

• June 26, 2018 / 12:36 pm

I know, right? I’m also a bartender and I get so excited every time I come here! Ahhh, you need to try a pickle back. Grab a jar of pickles on your way to work and give it a go – they’re surprisingly soooo good, and pickle juice is great for hangovers, too! Thank you for taking the time out to read my post ☺️ I’ll have another of these up in August after I’ve been to their LOTR themed bar, so stay tuned for that one!

• June 26, 2018 / 4:24 pm

Oh man I’m totally going to try this now. Yes! I can’t wait to read the next one! Such a good series!

• June 27, 2018 / 1:35 pm

Let me know what you think of them, and thank you ☺️

• June 26, 2018 / 12:39 pm

It really was such a great bar! ☺️

11. June 26, 2018 / 6:42 pm

I’ve never seen Rick and Morty but love the idea of the theme being ever changing! I’d love to check this bar out when I’m up in Edinburgh!! The pickle backs definitely look interesting, I have to say haha! I love pickles so I may have to give them a go! I really love the fact that you could create your own cocktail and the cocktails look really interesting. A lot of the mixtures I haven’t seen before which is so refreshing! Would love to take my boyfriend there for the Lord of the Rings theme!

Thanks for sharing
    Love,
    Molly xo

• June 27, 2018 / 1:38 pm

You really have to check them out, it’s my favourite spot for date night! You do have to book in advance, or should, since it’s quite small and popular! The LOTR theme starts on August 3rd, so if you’re in Edinburgh around then, you should definitely go!

12. September 8, 2018 / 2:50 pm

So cool!! Please tell me you’re going to the Lord of The Rings one too?! Washington’s D.C. is having their Rick and Morty pop up this month that I’m going to, but I don’t think they have food with their drinks. This looks amazing 😭

Xoxo,
    Stephanie | http://www.sandandcities.com

• September 24, 2018 / 10:37 am

I haven’t been yet, but there’s still a month left of it so I’ll HAVE to go at some point! I’ll be so disappointed in myself if I don’t 😩 oh man, that sounds so exciting! I hope you enjoy yourself, the drinks will no doubt be amazing ☺️