My Study Essentials

My Study Essentials

It’s coming up to exam season for me. I’ve just finished my lectures for this semester, and I’m now officially in study leave, and my first exam is in 3 weeks, and PANIC. So, in true procrastination fashion, I’m writing a blog post instead of attending to my massive list to-do list. To try and keep myself in the study mindset, I thought I’d gather all my study essentials together and talk you through them.

Whether you just love stationery or you’re about to sit exams yourself – hopefully you’ll enjoy this post!

My study essentials | bullet journal

First off, we have my bullet journal. Here is a page I have dedicated to the work I’d ideally like to get through in the first week of April. (Side note: it started off terribly.) I feel a planner of any kind is a must-have when you’re studying. It’s good to keep note of what you still have left to do, but also motivational to have a place where you can physically tick of what you have achieved.

Setting yourself smaller goals every day is also a great way to get stuff done!

My study essentials | Pukka pad

Next, we have notebooks. This particular notebook is my favourite!

I’ve used both plain white paper, and different coloured paper in the past (the coloured paper worked wonders for helping me study), however I love this cream coloured paper. Not only is it less harsh than white paper, but my coloured pens can show up a lot easier on this pad than on the coloured pads I used to use.

Both times I purchased these notebooks, I bought them on Amazon in a 3-pack.

My study essentials | Muji and Mildliner pens

Next up – pens! For writing in lectures, I generally use any ball point pen I can find, but when I’m writing out my “nice” notes I tend to use a nicer pen, and fancy colours.

For writing in black, I use a pen I picked up at my student shop; 0.5 Pilot G-1. It’s nothing special, but I love the way it writes. For formulas, headings, or certain parts in my notes I want to stand out, I use the coloured Muji pens. I bought these in a multi-pack from the Muji website last summer, and I love them! For highlighting and chapter headings, I use the Mildliner highlighter pens which are adorable and come in gorgeous colours. I bought them off of Amazon last summer as well.

I keep all my pens in a small file folder I bought in a multi-pack from Paperchase. It’s the perfect size for a pencil case, and I love the print and quote on the front!

My study essentials | folders

Lastly, I have my folders, both of which are also from Paperchase (I’m in love, okay?). They both come from the same “set”, if that makes sense, and I love how sassy and simplistic they both are.

In the hardback “I’m very busy and important” folder is where I keep all my “nice” and colour coded lecture notes.

In the “the struggle is real” file folder, I have lecture notes, tutorial sheets, projects – basically anything that was handed out in the lectures or computer labs. It has a cute little plastic zippy to keep everything in, but unfortunately I have so many things in that folder I don’t think I could close it if I tried, so I keep it open.

What are your study or work essentials?

*all products were bought with my own money / all thoughts are my own

1. insidemegansmind
    April 5, 2018 / 7:07 pm

First of all, I love the pilot G2 05 pens. They are my go to, absolute favorite pen (even though it’s pretty much a normal pen lol). I’ve never thought about using different colored paper for taking notes, but I feel like that’d be a cool way to color code classes and keep note organized. Great post! I love seeing other people’s notes.

Megan xx insidemegansmind.com

• April 5, 2018 / 7:15 pm

I thought I would sound so silly saying that I exclusively use this pen, but I’m so glad someone else knows / uses it (or one similar) too!! It really helped me, even the cream colour is better than white in my opinion! Thank you ☺️

2. April 5, 2018 / 7:15 pm

One of my essentials are post it notes and page savers. Also pens, millions of pens in every colour! 😀

• April 5, 2018 / 7:43 pm

I totally agree with the coloured pens, although I don’t often use post-it notes myself!

3. April 5, 2018 / 7:16 pm

I love your bullet journal – I started one myself but I didn’t stick to it for very long! Posters were always my go-to revision methods, I loved rewriting things out over and over again (which I know that some people hate) 😂🤷🏼‍♀️

• April 5, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Thank you!! Neither did I the first time, it’s only the second time round that I’m now using it a lot more! I am soooo the same, I like re-writing things 😂

4. April 5, 2018 / 7:44 pm

Can I just say I’m loving your self honesty when you wrote “Progress: F*CK ALL”.. it really made me giggle and made me realize SAME. This post actually helped as I am running out of ideas on getting all my work into my head! I am currently in the middle of making my bullet journal so I will definitely be trying out your tactic, and I’ll probably have a progress of f*ck all most days HA! x

• April 5, 2018 / 9:13 pm

Haha, I’m glad it did! I’m so bad at finding motivation, especially while exams are still a few weeks away for me – I don’t start properly panicking until the week running up to them. I’m glad I could help, and I wish you more luck than I’m having right now haha!

5. Ellyn Rebecca
    April 5, 2018 / 7:46 pm

Although I’m finished with education, my top study essentials were coloured pens (different colours for each topic) and then making mind maps to help remember topics to talk about in essays

Ellyn x | Life Of A Beauty Nerd

• April 5, 2018 / 9:15 pm

I totally pick a set of colours to use exclusively for one subject, then another set for another – I love colour coding things!

6. April 5, 2018 / 7:50 pm

I love this post! In all honestly, I just love reading about stationery and such and so. Thank you for sharing. I might try using coloured paper for studying, I never really considered it. I have some random Muji pens but I really want to get a whole set of them- hopefully for my birthday. And your bullet journal is amazing! I tried making one, it didn’t last.
    What do you study? I don’t think that you wrote exactly what.
    I actually just started a series on my blog about studying (CreativelyRaye Revises). It might interest you.
    Rachel | http://creativityandcrazy.blogspot.com

• April 5, 2018 / 9:17 pm

Honestly, the coloured and cream paper was such a game changer for me! And the coloured pens and highlighters as well, it just makes everything so pretty and stand out! Thank you ☺️

I study Actuarial Science, which is basically probability and statistics! That’s awesome, I’ll be sure to check it out!

7. April 5, 2018 / 7:58 pm

I’ve been wanting to start bullet journaling for such a long time! I’m a planner person, so I feel like it would be right up my alley! Great post! 🙂

• April 5, 2018 / 9:20 pm

You definitely should if that’s your thing, it’s such a creative and fun way to organise!

8. rosiedoal
    April 5, 2018 / 8:05 pm

Lovely post. I know so many people going through exam stress and revision right now but getting organised is the key. You’ve given some great tips here.

• April 5, 2018 / 9:27 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you liked it!

9. April 5, 2018 / 8:30 pm

Great posts and good tips! I’ve exams coming up soon might try a few of these x

• April 5, 2018 / 9:29 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you liked it!!
      x

10. mflick1942
    April 5, 2018 / 8:38 pm

Reminded me of being a student again! Good luck on your exams!

• April 5, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Me too, they just make things so much easier to read / stand out!

11. April 5, 2018 / 8:45 pm

My exams start near the end of this month so this post will come in handy! Thanks for sharing.
    Andrea xx

• April 5, 2018 / 9:37 pm

No worries, I’m glad you found it helpful and thank you for taking time out to read my post ☺️

12. April 5, 2018 / 11:07 pm

I was not organised when it came to studying! I had a different notebook and folder for each module and that’s about as deep as my system got. I’d grab my textbooks, any old pen and a couple of highlighters then get to work. Looks like you’ve got this under control. Good luck with your exams! x

Sophie

• April 6, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I think I spend more time working on a system for organising than I do actually studying haha! Thanks x

13. ashton
    April 6, 2018 / 9:08 am

What an awesome post. When i study it looks like ive bought the whole stationery shop

• April 6, 2018 / 1:11 pm

Thanks! Haha, same here, I’m so bad for buying loads of stationary and folders!